Remote Learning

SEND Support

What are the different types of support available for children with SEND in our school?


a) Class teacher input, through targeted classroom teaching (Quality First Teaching).

For your child this would mean:

  • that the teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.
  • that all teaching builds on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.
  • that different ways of teaching are in place, so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This may involve things like using more practical learning.
  • that specific strategies (which may be suggested by the Inclusion Lead or Education psychologist) are in place to support your child to learn.
  • your child’s teacher will have carefully checked on your child’s progress and will have decided that your child has a gap or gaps in their understanding/learning and needs some extra support to help them make the best possible progress.
  • specific group work (intervention programmes which may be):

·       Run in the classroom or a group room/ area.

·       Run by a teacher or a teaching assistant (TA).


b) Specialist groups run by outside agencies, e.g. Speech and Language therapy

This means a pupil has been identified by the Speech and Language Team/Inclusion Lead/class teacher as needing some extra specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from:

  • Health services such as occupational therapists, speech and language therapists or physiotherapists
  • Sensory support services such as hearing or visual impairment specialist teachers
  • Outside agencies such as the Education Psychology Service


What could happen:

·       You will be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional, e.g. a Speech and Language Therapist or Educational Psychologist. This will help you and the school to understand your child’s particular needs better and be able to support them more effectively in school.

·       If appropriate, the specialist professional will work with your child to understand their needs and make recommendations as to the ways your child is given support.


c) Specified Individual support

This type of support is available for children whose learning needs are severe, complex and lifelong. This is usually provided via a Statement of Special Educational Needs or an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP). This means your child will have been identified by professionals as needing a particularly high level of individual or small-group teaching.

This type of support is available for children with specific barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through Quality First Teaching and intervention groups.

Your child will also need specialist support in school from a professional outside the school, which may include any agency that is listed above.

For your child this would mean:

·       The school (or you) can request that Local Authority Services carry out a statutory assessment or Education, Health and Care assessment of your child’s needs. This is a legal process which sets out the amount of support that will be provided for your child.

·       After the request has been made to the ‘Panel of Professionals’ (with a lot of information about your child, including some from you), they will decide whether they think your child’s needs (as described in the paperwork provided), seem complex enough to need a statutory assessment. If this is the case, they will ask you and all professionals involved with your child to write a report outlining your child’s needs. If they do not think your child needs this, they will ask the school to continue with the current support.

·       After the reports have all been sent in, the Panel of Professionals will decide if your child’s needs are severe, complex and lifelong. If this is the case, they will write an Education Health Care Plan (EHCP). If this is not the case, they will ask the school to continue with the current level of support and also set up a meeting in school to ensure a plan is in place to ensure your child makes as much progress as possible.

·       The EHC Plan will outline how many hours of additional support your child needs. It will also outline how the support should be used, and what strategies must be put in place. It will also have long- and short-term goals for your child.

·       An additional adult may be used to support your child with whole class learning, run individual programmes or run small groups including your child. Other resources may also be secured through funding but this is a collaborative decision.


How can I let the school know that I am concerned about my child’s progress in school?

·       If you have concerns about your child’s progress, you should speak to your child’s class teacher/form tutor initially.

·       If you continue to be concerned that your child is not making progress, you may speak to the SENDCo.


How will the school let me know if they have concerns about my child’s progress in school?

If your child is identified as not making progress, the school will set up a meeting to discuss this with you in more detail and to:

·       Listen to any concerns you may have.

·       Plan any additional support your child may need.

·       Discuss with you any referrals to outside professionals to support your child.


How is extra support allocated to children, and how do they progress in their learning?

·       The school budget includes money for supporting children with SEND.

·       The headteacher decides on the deployment of resources for Special Educational Needs and Disabilities, on the basis of needs in the school.

·       The school identifies the needs of SEND pupils on a provision map. This identifies all support given within school and is reviewed regularly and changes made as needed, so that the needs of children are met, and resources are deployed as effectively as possible. In some cases, where the child’s need is more complex, an Individual Education Plan is set up for them outlining specific programme of support, resources, identified staff and planned time.

Who are the other people providing services to children with SEND in our school?

School provision

·       Teaching Assistants working with either individual children or small groups.

·       The SENDCo supporting staff in working with SEND children.

·       ICT support in the form of Literacy  and Numeracy

·       The Inclusion Team offers support for children with emotional and social development through programmes such as Drawing and Talking, Protective Behaviours, and other social small groups. Our Inclusion Team consist of the following:

Family Support Worker

Pastoral support workers

Attendance Welfare Officer

Speech and Language Assistant

Intervention Teacher

EAL Teacher




Local Authority Provision delivered in school

·       Educational Psychology Service

·       Sensory support for children with visual or hearing needs

·       Parent Partnership Service

·       SALT (Speech and Language Therapy)

·       Virtual School (Educational Support for Looked After Children)


Health Provision delivered in school

·       Additional Speech and Language Therapy input to provide a higher level of service to the school

·       School Nurse

·       Occupational Therapy

·       Physiotherapy

·       CAMHs (Child and Adolescent Mental Health)

·       Paediatricians (Community Child Health)


Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly. Update my browser now