A level: In order to gain entry on a programme of A level study, students will be required to achieve:
- At least five grade 5s or above or 9-5 grades at GCSE or an equivalent Level 2 qualification.
- At least a grade 5 in BOTH GCSE English and Mathematics must be achieved.
- Students are required to possess at least a grade 5 in their chosen A Level subjects proposed to be studied.
- Please see the list below for subject specific requirements.
- Biology: The student MUST achieve a grade 6 in GCSE Biology
- Chemistry: The student MUST achieve a grade 6 in GCSE Chemistry and level 5 in Maths
- Maths: The student MUST achieve a grade 6/7 grade in a GCSE Maths
- Physics: The student MUST achieve a grade 6 grade in GCSE Physics and level 5 in Maths
- Psychology: The student MUST achieve a grade 6 grade in a GCSE humanities subject or science
Note: A student achieving a grade 4 in either GCSE English or GCSE Mathematics may still be eligible to study other A Level subjects at NIA Post-16 if they are able to fulfil the other entry criteria published above.
In order to gain entry to any of the Level 3, BTEC National Diploma (or equivalent BTEC) qualifications, students will be required to achieve:
- At least five grade 4s or above or A*-C grades at GCSE or in an equivalent Level 2 qualification (e.g. BTEC First).
- It is desirable for students who are planning to progress into post-16 within a subject that they already study at Key Stage 4 to achieve a grade 5 (or ‘good pass’) or Level 2 Merit grade in contributing subject, and as such may feature as a condition of any offer given.
- We very much hope that you are successful in securing at least a grade 4 in both GCSE English and Mathematics. For ALL students who do not meet this standard in one of these GCSE subjects, you will be required to attend re-take lessons timetabled by the academy in addition to that of your BTEC lessons in order to work towards achieving a grade 4 in English or Mathematics. Attendance within all of the required re-take lessons is one of the conditions of securing and maintaining a place within post-16. We will not be able to accept students who do not possess both a grade 4 in GCSE English and Mathematics. Any student required to retake GCSE English or Mathematics will not be able to study an additional A-Level subject as a consequence of the retake component within their programme of study.
Please note that there may be additional, specific entry requirements for particular BTEC qualifications. For example, Children’s Play, Learning and Development (CPLD) requires all students to achieve a grade 4 in both GCSE English AND Mathematics as part of a governmental prescription for this vocational area.
All such conditions will be stated clearly within any formal offer of place letter issued to students.