Joining NIA as a SEND pupil
How will we support your child when they are joining the academy? Leaving the academy? Or moving to another class?
We recognise that transitions can be difficult for a child with SEND, and we take the necessary steps to ensure that any transition is as smooth as possible.
If your child is joining us from another academy:
- The SENDCo will visit pre-schools with the class teacher or Foundation Stage Leader when appropriate and attend annual reviews for pre-academy children.
- The SENDCo will complete year 6 transition stages from feeder primaries.
- If your child would be helped by a social story book/passport to support them to understand moving on, then one will be made for them with information about their current placement and their new academy.
- Your child will be able to visit our academy in advance of their movement.
- Parents will be invited to attend an information evenings.
- You may be given an opportunity for additional visits where appropriate to help to prepare your child for their move to the academy.
If your child is moving to another academy:
- We will contact the academy’s SENDCo and ensure he/she knows about any special arrangements or support that need to be made for your child. Where possible, a planning meeting will take place with the SENDCo from the new academy.
- We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible.
- If your child would be helped by a social story book/passport to support them in understand moving on, then one will be made for them.
When moving classes in academy:
- Information will be passed on to the new class teacher in advance and in most cases a planning meeting will take place with the new teacher. IEP s will be shared with the new teacher.
- Your child will be supported by a social story or learner passport, to help them understanding moving on, if required.
- Your child may participate in a transition group or be able to visit the new class more frequently where appropriate, to prepare them for the move.
In Year 6 for outside feeder academies:
- The SENDCo and class teacher will discuss the specific needs of your child with the SENDCo of the child’s secondary academy. Where appropriate, a transition review meeting to which you will be invited will take place between both academy’s.
- Where possible, your child will visit their new academy on several occasions, and in some cases staff from the new academy will visit your child in this academy.
- If your child would be helped by a social story/passport to support them in understanding moving on, then one will be made for them.
If your child still needs extra support, with your permission the inclusion team will access further support through outside agencies including links with specialist organisations link and academies, Local Offer support and the Early Help Assessment process.